Eggless Triple Chocolate-Chocolate Cake
For all those of us who eat “eggless cakes” a triple chocolate – chocolate cake is a farfetched indulgence and for all of you who eat these indulgences on a regular basis – we “eggless variety” have been watching and drooling.
Over the years I have developed a good few eggless cakes that seemed to filed in the gap and we are quite happy with the variety that I have (however I cannot say the same for my 2 sons, who are my most critical “critiques”.
Therefore, for me “being happy” was not enough, and I have continued to experiment so that my 2 sons can say “this is good”. I have received my younger sons “this is good”, on my new found triple chocolate-chocolate cake, and I will have to wait for some time for my elder sons “this is good”, as he is on the “banting diet”.
I decided to make this cake last week as the extended family have been gathering together on a regular basis to mourn the loss of a dear family member and all of us have been making something for tea after the prayer service. I was pleasantly surprised as to how much each one of them enjoyed the cake – everyone wanted to take leftover home (however there was no leftovers), and I was also told by younger son – now that you have this right – please do not tamper, add or modify this recipe in anyway – “This is good”.
Triple Chocolate Cake
500ml cake flour
5ml cinnamon powder
5ml baking powder
5 ml bicarbonate soda
300ml castor sugar (brown if available)
60ml ground flax seeds
30ml apple cider vinegar
- Sift flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder and bicarbonate soda into a large mixing bowl
- To the above add the castor sugar and ground flax seeds and mix well
- In a mixing jug and using a whisk mix the oil, cider vinegar, milk and water
- Very gradually add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and fold in thoroughly
- Using a wooden spoon beat/mix well for a minute or two
- Pour into a prepared baking tin the size of regular oven trays, tap on all sides so the mixture is well distributed
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 for about 35-40minutes or when a skewer inserted in comes out clean
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before turning onto a cooling rack
50ml Hot Chocolate Powder
150ml good quality dark chocolate
- Heat he milk in a sauce pan and then add the cocoa, sugar and butter, allow the butter to melt
- Then add in the chocolate (broken into pieces) and remove from heat, and still till all of the chocolate is melted
- Allow to cool for a bit and then using a tooth pick prick the cake all over so that the sauce can seep in
- Using a spoon pour the sauce over the cake ensuring that it is absorbed into the cake
- Allow this to dry a bit before grating some milky bar over the cake
- Then cut into cubes and serve on its own, with a dollop of ice-cream or some whipped cream